Number of multiple choice questions I answered during medical school and residency.
- Basic science exams - 2,400 practice questions and 7,000 exam questions.
- NBME Shelf Exams - 3,000 practice questions and 1,200 exam questions.
- USMLE Step I - 3,000 practice questions, 336 exam questions.
- USMLE Step II - 2,000 practice questions and 368 exam questions.
- USMLE Step III - 1,000 practice questions and 480 exam questions.
- ABIM Exam - 1,500 practice questions and 240 exam questions.
- ABPM Exam - 130 practice questions and 200 exam questions.
- 22,854 total questions (give or take a thousand).
Some statistics about my medical residency.
- Residency length = 1,099 days (157 weeks or 26,376 hours).
- Number of days worked = 846 days (77% of all days).
- Number of hours worked = 11,089 hours (42% of all possible hours).
- Number of hours studying for boards, in-service
exams, conferences, case reports, and patient cases = 3,120
hours, with total number of hours working or studying = 14,209
(54% of all possible hours).
- Acutual salary paid during residency = $4.33 per hour (after accounting for upcompensated overtime from shifts exceeding 12 hours per day, for evening/weekend/holiday shifts, for working more than 7 days in a row, for lack of sick leave, etc.).
- Maryland minimum wage during residency = $5.15 to $6.55 per hour.
- Number of overnight/call shifts worked = 201 days (24% of all work days).
- Time spent in general medical in-patient services = 336 days (40% of all works days).
- Time spent in the critical care units = 192 days (23% of all work days).
- Time spent in other specialized units = 84 days (10% of all work days).
- Time spent in the emergency department = 84 days (10% of all work days).
My Erdös Number is 3.
- Path: Paul Erdös, Aviezri Fraenkel, Yaacov Yesha, Michael Grasso
My trumpet/jazz teachers.
- Harold Lieberman (high school).
- Richard Lowenthal (college).
- Emile DeCosmo (college).
- Wayne Cameron (as a comeback player).
- John Blount (as a comeback player).
A Few Firsts.
- My First Job - Seasonal work making Christmas wreaths.
- My First Car - 1973 Ford Gran Torino.
- My First Computer - IBM XT with an Intel 8088 4.77 MHz processor.
- My First Computer Programming Book - "Elementary Basic, as chronicled by John H. Watson".
- My First Medical Book - "The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and
Therapy", 12th Edition.
- My First Trumpet - Olds Ambassador.
- First and last time I saw Maynard Ferguson
in concert - at the Ramapo College Summer Jazz Festival and
Workshop in Mawah, NJ, July, 1973, and at
James Hubert Blake High School in Olney, MD on May 7, 2004.